Grand Rapids Criminal Attorney Discusses Potential Domestic Violence Defenses
If you have been charged with domestic violence, it is recommended that you contact your Grand Rapids criminal attorney immediately to assist you with the charges. Domestic violence is a serious crime, and one that is taken seriously by the criminal justice system. Allegations are taken very seriously, and may even result in your arrest. Your Grand Rapids criminal attorney will be able to help you if you have been arrested. Domestic violence occurs between partners who live together. While most cases involve women as the victim, it is possible for men to be the victim of domestic violence as well. Unfortunately, there are some people who have been falsely accused of domestic violence and have had to suffer the consequences for someone else’s fabrication. If you feel that you have been falsely charged, contact your Grand Rapids criminal attorney for assistance. The following are potential defenses if you have been charged with domestic violence. For further assistance, contact your Grand Rapids criminal attorney for a consultation.
- The wrong suspect was arrested. If you are innocent, then there will be ways to provide evidence backing you up. That can include having a reliable alibi for the time of the incident.
- There is no proof. Your defense attorney will be able to recognize a flimsy story and be able to poke holes in it. If the burden of proof does not hold up, then it is likely you will not be convicted.
- You acted in self-defense. If you can prove you were not the initial aggressor, and actually were just defending yourself then this may save you from conviction.
- Deliberate false allegations were made against you by someone out of spite. Your attorney will look for inconsistencies in the story that will benefit your case.
- The act was a consensual one. While this is unusual, it is not unheard of. If the other party consented to the act of violence, then it cannot be considered to be a crime of domestic violence.
Call a Grand Rapids Criminal Attorney
For an experienced professional, contact your Grand Rapids criminal attorney today from Miel & Carr PLC at (616) 244-2234. Blanchard Law has the Grand Rapids criminal attorney who will help you fight for your rights in your domestic violence case.