Minor in Possession of Alcohol

Juvenile Crimes Attorney Serving Western Michigan

In the United States, it is against the law for anyone under the age of 21 to consume or possess alcohol. If a minor is caught with alcohol in their possession or has tested positive for blood alcohol content, they could be facing a misdemeanor charge. In the case that they were caught driving or operating a vehicle at the time, the charges could be even more severe. It is important that you act quickly to retain representation, especially if this is a second or subsequent offense.

Contact one of our Grand Rapids criminal defense attorneys today at
(616) 244-2234 for solid legal defense.

Representation for Underage DUI Charges

Many people are under the misconception that minors have to submit to a preliminary breath test. This is not the case, as it was deemed unconstitutional to force a minor to submit to a Breathalyzer test without a search warrant. If your child was pulled over or arrested for driving while under the influence, our Grand Rapids DUI attorneys may be able to get the results of their test dismissed.

Depending on the nature of the charge, your child could be facing the following consequences:

  • Suspension or revocation of driver's license
  • Probation or community service
  • Fines and fees
  • Time in jail (for subsequent offenses)

Representing MIP Probation Violations in Grand Rapids

If your child was arrested for minor in possession (MIP) while on probation, they could be facing additional penalties. For example, some probation orders require that you submit to a breath test. If they refused or failed their breath test because of alcohol consumption, they could be threatened with jail time as a result of breaking the conditions of their probation.

Should you choose to hire our firm, we work to find a defense strategy for your MIP and probation violation charges. This may include questioning if law enforcement had probable cause to pull your child over or if the Breathalyzer test was administered properly.

Call (616) 244-2234 to speak with a criminal lawyer about how we can
defend your child's charges.

Tell Your Side of the Story to Blanchard Law

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Our Firm